I have to admit, most of the art pieces we have observed and discussed so far in class haven't really stood out as truly significant to me. However, when I take a look at Pablo Picasso's Guernica I cannot help but try to immerse myself into the piece. While most of Picasso's paintings are extremely abstract (and I suppose this one is too) I feel as if the significance and meaning are clearly displayed in this masterpiece.
Portraying the horrors of war, particularly the bombing of the Spanish town of Guernica, Picasso uses his typical cubist style to show suffering in an almost grueling manner. While often times Picasso would paint people with certain disfigurations without offering a true meaning, there is no doubt these hideous traits in this piece symbolize the pain they are going through. The women on the right with the swollen leg has clearly been physically crushed by war. Each abstract person resembles that of someone who has been traumatized by the horrors that the conflict of governments can have.
And while the point of this particular piece may have been more clear cut than most of Picasso's work, or at least I feel that it was, I think that only strengthens the impact that this piece has on society. While all of Picasso's art no doubt represents some sort of feeling he had, sometimes it can be difficult to interpret. For this piece he clearly wanted to express his opinions on war and personally I think he did an excellent job. Just glancing at the picture almost gives me chills. I liked the quote the book included, saying that this art was "a weapon against the enemy." While I assume that "enemy" is war, that could be a whole other discussion in itself. But what I am fairly certain of is Picasso's displeasure in the toils of war, and I for one feel this piece of art did a pretty darn good job of showing that.
Picasso indeed paints a clear message in this piece, and I think it is very clear that the "enemy" is war. I also think though that he is trying to get a point across about human nature. My reaction to this is repulsion and disgust, and I think Picasso wants that. However, he doesn't want us to only be repulsed by the images that we see in art but by the effects that war has on society. Instead of glorifying war we should be absolutely sickened by what it does.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big fan of cubism, but I agree with you about this one in that this style of art does a fantastic job at portraying the point that Picasso was trying to get across. For me, cubism is typically not a type of art that is enjoyable to look at, but Picasso took advantage of that and it works perfectly for this piece.
ReplyDelete