Don't Waste Your Time or Time Will Waste You

Friday, February 11, 2011

A Bug's Life

After reading Franz Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" the only thought that I could conjure was what in the world did I just read?  This guy turns into a giant insect and all he is worried about is catching a train?  Perhaps Mr. Samsa needs to think about getting his priorities in line because a train seems to be the least of his worries right about now.  But as I read the piece again, I think I was able to pick up on more of the logic or reasoning behind Kafka's absurd pieces of literature such as this one.

Kafka's insecurity in many of his works may have been a tad unfounded since he the author of acclaimed work, but I feel that this sense of insecurity can be detected in the way he writes.  In this particular piece and as I hinted to earlier, while Gregor Samsa does not forget he has transformed into a giant insect he really doesn't seem all that concerned up until he has to unlock his door.  Instead all the thoughts and worries of his job, getting to the train station on time, and how chief was going to be upset with him.  I can sense the feeling of insecurity in Kafka's character, almost as if Kafka is portraying himself as the character.

But perhaps the most defining moment of insecurity in the "The Metamorphosis" is located in the last paragraph of the excerpt in the book.  Just moments after Mr. Samsa seems to experience his moment of relief, his family looks upon him as if he is nothing more than he appears, an unwelcome insect.

"His mother - in spite of the chief clerk's directions - first clasped her hands and looked at his father, then took two steps towards Gregor and fell on the floor among her outspread skirts, her face quite hidden on her breasts.  His father knotted his fists with a fierce expression on is face as if he meant to knock Gregor back into his room"

We are brought up believing that no matter how bad things get, one's family will be there to support you no matter what.  This lack of understanding from Kafka's imaginary family I feel shows the true insecurities he had in his life.

1 comment:

  1. I also read Kafka's Metamorphosis and find it strange that Gregor Samsa isn't the least bit concerned of his transformation. Like you mentioned, he doesn't even question how he became an insect. If that were me, I would be freaking out, but Gregor only wants to get to work. This makes me wonder if Gregor's transformation is really just symbolism for his alienation from his family. Is he really a bug?
    Also, you mentioned insecurity within Kafka's character, as if it were himself. This got me wondering about Kafka's family life, and from what it seems Kafka and his father did not have the best relationship. Maybe he is portraying a piece of himself within Gregor Samsa?

    ReplyDelete